Couzyn van Heuvelen is a Canadian Inuk sculptor. Born in Iqaluit, Nunavut, he has lived in Southern Ontario for most of his life. His work explores Inuit culture and identity, new and old technologies, and personal narratives. While rooted in the history and traditions of Inuit art, the work strays from established Inuit art making methods and explores a range of fabrication processes. Couzyn holds a BFA from York University and an MFA from NSCAD University.
– Great North, Fazakas Gallery, Vancouver BC
– Qajaaqjuaq, Anna Leonowens Gallery, Halifax NS. MFA thesis exhibition.
– Progress In Work, Anna Leonowens Gallery, Halifax NS
– Fresh Paint/New Construction, Art Mûr, Montreal QC. Juried exhibition.
– Daily Jumble, Anna Leonowens Gallery, Halifax NS
– First Impressions, Port Loggia Gallery, Halifax NS. Juried exhibition.
– Emerging Artists Summer Exhibit, Gallery 1313, Toronto ON. Juried exhibition.
– ERI 5, Eyelevel Gallery, Halifax NS
– Findings/Treasures, Las Caux Gallery, Toronto ON. Two Person exhibition.
– Parallax, Phi Kappa Pi Fraternity House, Toronto ON. Group exhibition.
– Moulting, Propeller Centre for the Visual Arts, Toronto ON. Juried exhibition.
– Mimesis, Eleanor Winters Art Gallery, Toronto ON. Solo exhibition.
– We Are Here To., Twist Gallery, Toronto ON. Juried exhibition.
– YOU. US., Gladstone Hotel, 2nd Floor Gallery, Toronto ON. Group exhibition.
– The Nature of Things, Eleanor Winters Art Gallery, Toronto ON. Group exhibition.
– Summer Ashes, 103A Harrison St, Toronto ON. Group exhibition.
– Spaghetti Junction, DeLeon White, Toronto ON. Group exhibition.
– 24-Hour Workshop Showcase, Special Projects Gallery, Toronto ON. Group exhibition.
– Master of Fine Arts, Nova Scotia College of Art and Design, Halifax NS
– Bachelor of Fine Arts, Spec. Hons. Visual Arts, York University, Toronto ON
ACADEMIC WORK EXPERIENCE
– Research Assistant to Foundations Department, NSCAD University. January-April
– Sessional Instructor, New Technologies in Sculpture, NSCAD University. Sept-Dec
– Teaching Assistant to David B. Smith, Introductory Sculpture, NSCAD University. January-April
– Teaching Assistant to Thierry Delva, Introductory Sculpture, NSCAD University. Sept-Dec
– Research Assistant to Michael Longford; Associate Professor, Digital Media Program Associate Dean, York University, June 2012-February 2013
– Research Assistant to Kevin Yates; Associate Professor, York University, February-June
NON-ACADEMIC WORK EXPERIENCE
– Artist Assistant to BGL; BGL collective, April-May.
– Artist Assistant to Laura Moore; Contract Faculty, York University, January-May.
Starfish Student Art Awards, NSCAD University. April 2015. Amount: 1000
Building Brighter Futures Scholarship. Indspire. March 2015. Amount: 2600
Joseph-Armand Bombardier Canada Graduate Scholarship. SSHRC. May 2014. Amount:17,500
Building Brighter Futures Scholarship. Indspire. March 2014. Amount: 6400
Harrison McCain Scholarship in Memory of Marion McCain, NSCAD University. September 2013. Amount: 16,000
Graduate Fellowship Award, NSCAD University. September 2013. Amount: 3000
The Louis Odette Sculpture Award, York University. September 2011. Amount: 1000
WirelessWave York University Student Scholarship. York University. January 2010. Amount: 2500